Friday, October 26, 2012

Saving Salmon: Possible?

Of course, I'd like to think that anything is possible ... even preserving the wild salmon runs that are still clinging to life in the Columbia River Basin.

The survival of salmon lies in our hands. Photo by USFWS

I have a small personal stake in this epic battle for life. For one sweet summer, I practically lived in the cold flows of the upper watershed, contributing to a restoration project that successfully drew spawning steelhead back to a long-lost natal stream.


It worked, and I helped (no Shake 'n Bake jokes needed, thank you very much).

At any rate, my participation in salmon conservation proved to me that good work can be done. But among the many techniques being used to save salmon from the maws of many dams on the Columbia, barging seems like a lost cause.

It just isn't enough.

Learn more about it HERE.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, suggestions? Please share them here.