Thursday, March 28, 2013

Is De-Extinction a Word?

Yes, really it is, and it means exactly what you think it does: recreating animals that have gone extinct.

Image by George Edwards via Wikimedia

This is not a futuristic Jetsons-meets-Jurassic Park concept anymore, friends. In this era of possibility, science will stop at nothing to challenge our ideas of what can be done.

The latest issue of National Geographic examines the genetic research that has already made the cloning of an extinct Pyrenean Ibex a reality (even if it was unsuccessful) and discusses a number of controversies surrounding the subject. 

For a list of 10 species that are potentially viable candidates for de-extinction, read my latest article on About.com.



2 comments:

  1. This idea totally creeps me out. I don't really feel comfortable with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, JSmay, my friend from far away ;) And besides the creep factor, I just can't see the justification for spending so much time and money on this big, weird science project when there is so much HERE and NOW that needs our attention.

      Delete

Thoughts, questions, suggestions? Please share them here.